FAIR is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of LDS doctrine, belief and practice
“Every time they persecute and try to overcome this people, they elevate us, weaken their own hands, and strengthen the hands and arms of this people. And every time they undertake to lessen our number, they increase it.”
Discourses of Brigham Young, 351
The Foundation for Apologetic Information & Research (FAIR) was formed in late 1997 by a group of LDS defenders of the faith who frequented the America Online Mormonism message boards. In defending the Church against detractors there, this small group realized that they had no way of sharing their information with each other, much less the rest of the Church. As a result of this, FAIR was born. Incorporated as a non-profit organization in the state of New York on December 19, 1997, the fledgling organization put up its first Web site in March 1998.
FAIR is staffed completely by students of the scriptures, ancient languages, early Christian history, early LDS history, and LDS doctrine and apologetics. Most all of the staff here at FAIR have been involved in online services and Internet-based LDS apologetics for many years. Many of our members are authors of currently-available apologetic publications.
For more information FAIR,
Writing for Us
If you have written information that may be of interest to those engaged in apologetics, we invite you to submit it to FAIR. We will examine each article on its own merits and make publishing decisions that are consistent with the purpose, mission, and resources of FAIR.
To help you prepare your material for FAIR, we have prepared an Editorial Style Guide. You should download the guide (it is in PDF format) and make sure you understand and follow the information therein.
FAIR Web Site Guide
An Open Letter from the President of FAIR
Welcome to the FAIR Web site. One of the difficulties in looking for answers on the Internet is finding those answers without going through hours of searching. With that thought in mind we have put together this guide to help you find your way around the FAIR Web site and to help you find answers to your questions.
- Our most important resource is the FAIR Wiki and FAIR Web site. Responses to critical topics may be easily located on both the website and the wiki by accessing the Category Index and Topical Guide. The Topical Guide will give you access to many resources to help deal with your questions. The Topical Guide will not only give you access to the various articles on the FAIR Web site and FAIR Wiki, but also link you to many other resources including relevant articles out of the Church’s Ensign magazine, the Encyclopedia of Mormonism, the FARMS Web site, and links to other apologetics Web sites on the Internet.Please note: articles posted on other apologetics Web sites have been chosen because of their value to the topic at hand, but are not controlled by or endorsed by FAIR.
- If you don’t find what you are looking for through the topical format of the Topical Guide, you can type a keyword into the Search Box at the top of any FAIR page to quickly search the entire Web site.
- Many anti-Mormon books and videos are reviewed in the FAIR Wiki. See Criticism of Mormonism.
- You can ask a question directly to FAIR by e-mailing your question through our contact page. Your question will be forwarded on to our FAIR Apologetics List. Our list is made up of LDS apologists with a variety of backgrounds. When you e-mail us a question, you may get back a number of responses from the various individuals on the list.
- FAIR has an online bookstore with many books published by FAIR and other publishers. Some of the more popular books published by FAIR are
- Shaken Faith Syndrome by Mike Ash
- Defending the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Wayne Arnett
- Another popular item is the audio CDs from talks given at our FAIR Conferences. There are various other books and audio CDs you can purchase as well.
We hope you enjoy your visit to the FAIR Web site. If you find our Web site helpful, please make a donation. FAIR is an all volunteer, nonprofit 501(C)3 Corporation, and all tax-deductible donations we receive are used to help the organization.
We welcome submissions of articles and book reviews (check out the FAIR Editorial Style Guide before you submit your paper). E-mail a query about your paper or book review to the FAIR Webmaster through our contact page.
Finally, if you would like to take a more active role in FAIR you can join our Apologetics List. This list is for those who are interested in helping other members deal with issues of anti-Mormonism.
Feel free to E-mail me with any suggestions. Just use our contact page and direct your comment to the president.
Scott Gordon, President
Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research